"I believe, in order to understand; and I understand, the better to believe." - St. Augustine

"No one can have God as Father who does not have the Church as Mother." - St. Cyprian

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Life and Death to Life

On September 12th, 2009 my grandfather was called home to the Lord. It was a trying time, but it was a peaceful time. He was surrounded by his family, just the way that he wanted. We sang him home with is favorite song, "On Eagles Wings." It still chokes me up and I will never listen to that song the same again. (The following Sunday after his inurnment, the choir sang the song and I couldn't help but smile to myself. That is true comfort. I'm thinking that Grandpa pulled some strings to let me know that though he's gone from my sight, he is still very much alive.) I am missing his advice and his pure love for us all. Truly he was a great man and he drew his strength from the Lord.

I guess through this whole ordeal, you begin to realize the value of family and the comfort that faith in Christ brings to us. It is through our sufferings that we are made more in the image of Christ. Truly to be a Christian you share in the life of Christ. And Christ suffered and died. It is a part of life and indeed the birth into a new life. Victorious over death, in Christ we have no need to be scared. Our hope is the hope of the Resurrection at the end of time when we will be reunited in spirit and body with all of those who have ever lived and died in Christ. What a beautiful future. And we know how the story ends. We win. And there is nothing that will seperate us from the Love of God.

This is what the Catechism says about the Resurrection and what it means. And this is what it says about us and our own resurrection. I cannot but thank God for the opportunity to have known and loved my grandfather. I am praying that Grandpa remembers us and prays for us and that he heard what we all want to hear, "Well done my good and faithful servant...Come share your Master's joy." (St. Matthew 25:23).

No comments:

Post a Comment