"I believe, in order to understand; and I understand, the better to believe." - St. Augustine

"No one can have God as Father who does not have the Church as Mother." - St. Cyprian

Friday, June 17, 2011

A Gem from St. Augustine

St. Augustine writes, in his sermon to the Catechumens about the Creed :

"The same is the holy Church, the one Church, the true Church, the catholic Church, fighting against all heresies: fight, it can; be fought down, it cannot. As for heresies, they all went out of it, like unprofitable branches pruned from the vine: but itself abides in its root, in its Vine, in its charity. " [emphasis mine]

I realize that I have posted this quote before on my blog, but it's too good not to share again. He paints such an eloquent picture of the Church; a Church that has weathered the test of time and has remained consistent, growing in Truth and in Charity. It makes me so proud to be Catholic and to know that my family stretches through the ages; that our beliefs transcend time and space and unite us even now 1,600 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment