"I believe, in order to understand; and I understand, the better to believe." - St. Augustine

"No one can have God as Father who does not have the Church as Mother." - St. Cyprian

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Discerning

How do we know that what we are doing is, in fact, the Will of God? How can we completely unite ourselves to His love and His Will? Is that even a remote possibility this side of the veil?

Life, I have come to realize, is just one big discernment process. Even at the most basest of levels. Even in the most mundane everyday things, there is a process of discernment. Do I put on this shirt or that one? Eat this for breakfast or that? Go to sleep or keep reading? Though seemingly unimportant, I believe that the process perfects itself and helps you to decide when it really matters. Practice, as they say (whoever 'they' are), makes perfect.

Jesus Himself, had periods of intense discernment. Think about His time in the desert for 40 days or about His prayers in the Garden before His Passion. God Himself, in virtue of His humanity, had to discern the Father's Will. He knew what He had to do, and still asked if the cup would pass. But the key was complete and total loving submission to the plan of the Father. That is what I want to do. ('Course, J.C. was God and knew what exactly was going to happen. I don't have the luxury.)

I am only concerned with what God's plan is for me. I am entirely in His hands right now. I know that my life also includes me and my wants and desires. I've said it before, if I conform myself so intimately with His Will, my will becomes His. Or something like that. That's true freedom.

I just wish sometimes that he would drop a letter on down telling me what exactly to do. I suppose that's what it means to have Faith. Faith in God that He will lead me to what He wants for my life. Faith that I will be able to act accordingly to His Will.

St. Louis-Marie de Montfort -- Pray for us!
Check out this link to Fr. Longenecker's blog about the still small voice in discerning. I love God!

3 comments:

  1. I think that what you're saying is precisely why we are encouraged to discern with a spiritual director. Someone who can help us figure out God's will. That goes for which college to go to, who to marry, and when/how many kids to have. My sd helps me figure out what prayers to pray, what sins to confess (that I never realized I had to!) and what extra events to add to my schedule. God calls us to a lot of different areas and it's nice having someone NOT in my immeidate life (close friend/parent/spouse) help me figure such stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I just wish sometimes that he would drop a letter on down telling me what exactly to do."

    But as a loving Father, he wants us to learn to hear his voice, and be transformed by our relationship to him. The "what" of what we do is not as important as the character we develop as we do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Wes. How true that really is. I must need a lot of character!

    ReplyDelete