"I believe, in order to understand; and I understand, the better to believe." - St. Augustine

"No one can have God as Father who does not have the Church as Mother." - St. Cyprian

Friday, April 30, 2010

On Friendship

I'm always amazed at how God puts people in my life right when I need them. What's even more amazing is the fact that this is one of His favorite ways to let us know he hears our prayers. (At least I think so). Life would be terrible without friends. I've heard it said that "Friends are the family that we choose." I believe that wholeheartedly. I guess that's how all families start. Jesus says,
13 No one has greater love than this, than to lay down one's life for one's friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. 16 It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. 17 This I command you: love one another. 18 "If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you. 20 Remember the word I spoke to you, 'No slave is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.
What amazing words from the Master. Laying down your life does not necessarily mean that you have to die, but it could mean that you sacrifice your whole life for the greater good of this other person. Your friend. That's what Christ did. And that is something that is hard to wrap your mind around. My God has called me, little old flawed me, His friend. Wow. It doesn't get much more personal than that (except for when we receive the Eucharist. And when you can receive the Eucharist with your friend, that's a whole new level of friendship that exists between both of you). Eat that Protestants! Literally (see John 6).

That's the kind of friend that I want to be; that I strive to be. If I have the love of God, I want to share that with others. Especially my friends. I suppose that all of my recent posts all tie together somewhat. That just kind of happened. I think. God works it, not me.

To all who are and remain my best and closest friends, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. We can get through anything together because Christ was our friend first and He is the one that brought us together in the first place.

Our Lady of the Rosary -- Pray for us!
St. Pius V -- Pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment